Sunday, October 05, 2008

A-Tisket, A-Tasket, Baby's in the Basket

I made a cake for a baby shower tonight. It was an ambitious endeavor, and I say that because it was huge (at least compared to what I've ever done).

I was told to expect 60 people. The cake I wanted to make called for a 12"x2" pan, so I'd have to make two. I've never used anything that big. My first cake failed (part of it operator error). The second failed, and I blame the high altitude. But I was able to salvage it. The third try was beautiful.

I layered the cakes rather than making two separate cakes. So, with frosting in between, the cake stood about 5 inches tall and 12 inches across. (Man, it was heavy).

I employed techniques I learned in my last class -- royal icing flowers, color flow for the baby's head, and basketweave and rope techniques in buttercream icing.

It's not perfect (and I see all the things wrong), but everyone loved it, and it tasted good. Again, I was made to cut into my creation ...


7 comments:

Kathy Cassel said...

Wow. I would panick that everything would go wrong and I'd end up going to Walmart for Dora cupcakes or something!

Jodie said...

I thought about it!

Anonymous said...

So cute! I could never have the patience for it, nor would I let anyone eat it!

Ashleigh said...

So cute! Great job, Jodie!

Emily said...

that is the cutest baby shower cake i have ever seen!!! are you thinking about starting a small side business???:) good to see you guys today-- my kids are tired out!

Dawn S. said...

I think it is beautiful!!

Rmomof3 said...

Beautiful Jodie! What talent you have!
Renee