We have a "great room." One of our sofas backs up to the kitchen area, at the line where carpet meets vinyl. There is an island between the sofa and the cooking area. Charis apparently stood on the couch (and I'm thinking she stood on the cushions attached to the back). Not a second after I heard, "I want to see what you are doing," I heard a very loud "THUD." A pause. Then blood-curdling crying. I ran over to find her in a pose not unlike this:

But her face was flat on the floor.
I thought she broke her neck.
I know I shouldn't have moved her, but I couldn't leave her like that. I picked her up anyway, because I didn't think she could get out of that position.
Blood. Lots of blood.
I hollered for Mark to help me. He got a wet paper towel and I started to wipe away the blood coming from her face. It was all over the floor. All over her dress.
It was from her mouth. Check teeth. All there. None loose. No cuts in the mouth.
She busted her lower lip. But not nearly as bad as I thought she may have.
I checked her for concussion signs. Nothing. She was "fine" within five minutes.
Today at church, my friends said they wouldn't have known she hurt herself. You can hardly see it when her mouth is closed. And she has a little ulceration visible when she opens her mouth.
She has a follow-up tomorrow at the doctor for a UTI, so I'll have her check her out then.
Please, Angel, don't scare Mama like that.
AND DON'T STAND ON THE COUCH!





8 comments:
We are sooo fighting the couch -play battle here these days! Ugh! I am glad that Charis is okay! Give her a hug for us!
Renee
Glad she is okay! I have a climber too. I am always telling her to quick climbing on things. She started when she was very little probably about 14 months old and she is eight and still climbs on everything.
Christina
Charis seriously is a monkey ...
I am telling her and/or disciplining her DAILY to stop climbing, jumping, etc. on the couch. And she didn't learn from her fall, because she was back at it an hour later. Maybe I just need to banish her from the couch for a while.
Yikes. Could happen to anyone.
i think these kids are trying to give us a heart attack sometimes. what are they thinking?!?!?!?
ok-- looking at that pose totally freaked me out-- heck yah i would've moved her- my word-- so glad that she is ok-- amazing how much mouth wounds bleed, isn't it??
Oh wow, thank God she is okay. Kids are amazing....My sister used to be afraid to take her son to the doctor because he had so many bruises between about age 1-4. Scary.
I thought I commented earlier this week, I'm sure of it. I guess I did something wrong! I'm glad she's ok, sounds scary!
By the way, you TAGGED if you want to play! Come to my blog for details! Terry
Post a Comment