What a week it was!
Charis and I started homeschooling. She's only 4, but I want to get her ready for K. But I've been SO INTIMIDATED. What's the problem? I think, It's only PRESCHOOL! I should be able to handle this.
The first day seemed to go pretty well. But the rest of the week was downhill.
She tells me she doesn't want to "play school" any more. What am I supposed to do with that? I try to keep it fun and have veered off the curriculum to meet her needs. But when things get a little "hard"—like writing letters in the space provided—she doesn't want to do it anymore.
I welcome suggestions!
And then we spent all of Friday in the car driving to New Mexico. Mark's mom had surgery for a hiatal hernia Friday morning (we couldn't leave Thursday like we were hoping—Mark had been busting his tail to get a job done and actually worked through the night). We got there Friday evening, but didn't see her until Saturday. She was able to leave the hospital that afternoon. She's really sore and is restricted to liquids for a couple weeks, then soft foods for a couple more. But other than that, she's doing well.
And Sunday was Mark's dad's birthday. He turned 70 and it was great to be able to spend the weekend with them.
We drove home Monday and now it's off to another week of "What am I doing?"
Back-to-School Anxiety and Mental Health
4 days ago





13 comments:
We have gone through that too...with the attitude about homeschooling. In fact, I just had a talk with the kids about it today. :) They need to understand that 1) God placed you in authority over her. 2) You are accountable to God for how you raise her and train her. 3) She needs to learn to respect the authority God has placed over her, namely you and Mark. 4)She needs to be taught to persevere, and to do her best for the Lord.
I wish I could tell you it goes away, but the sinful nature we all have, will contiually well up. Don't give up! You will reap of harvest of blessing for taking this time to sow into her life now.
Praying for you!
I have to second Natalie.
Christina
No suggestions other than just decide what is the most important each day, get it done and then have something special planned for after it's completed.
Jodi,
Amen to what Natalie says!
I found that with Saul when I first started to keep it to small amounts of time. maybe 10 min and then change. Also he liked it when I got a plastic guide that you attach to a piece of paper that allows them to trace the letter then a couple weeks later he wanted to try by himself. Also a work book I bought at Walmart (preschool) Everything for early learning. I use it with the program Iwas using for him . lots of times I would just do one letter a day. by the time he was 4 1/2 he knew and could write his letters. sometimes not real pretty but you could tell what they were! There are also DVD's by Leap Frog that are really fun and are educational to help them start to put the letters together into words..
Just some of the things I used..
God Bless,
Rose Anne
Thank you, all!
I'm glad I'm not starting out from "square one," since Charis DOES know how to write her uppercase letters, usually without help. I had her write "HAPPY BIRTHDAY GRANDPA LOVE CHARIS," telling her to write a "G", etc. and she rarely asked for help. But the letters are all over the place (of course). She doesn't recognize many lowercase letters yet. We're working on letter sounds. She recognizes numbers. She can cut (better than I can I think!).
But Natalie, I do agree with you that she needs to respect my authority. Usually it's not that big of an issue, but I've been letting her get away with stuff because I don't want to turn her off of school completely.
Thanks again!
Hi Jodie,
It really makes me sad when parents say they could never homeschool their kids because their kids wouldn't listen to them. I wonder if they can't see that as an issue of disrespect for them as parents, and of God's authority. It doesn't go away, and it needs to be dealt with whether one homeschools or not. I will be praying for God to give you wisdom and the ability to be loving, yet firm with her.
At the pre-school age, she should like everything you do. :) Personally, I think the only point of preschool is to get them excited about learning. If it isn't fun, don't keep doing it. Just make sure she knows it's your idea and not hers. :) There are a million and one fun things you can do to gently help her learn. If you need help, or I can encourage you in anyway, let me know. I'm happy to do it.
~N
hey jodie--
i've been there with natalie-- she loved school until it got "hard"-- we pushed throught it-- however- some things to consider--
changing curriculum (if possible) - she was partially frustrated b/c the curriculum totally did not jive with her learning style. next-- mix up some games as rewards- nat gets computer time based partially off of her attitude during school (the time is either increased or decreased) we also always play some sort of game after doing some workbook work.
and also-- totally agree with natalie above -- explain your authority over her to her--
it does take TIME!!! the first year can be a roller coaster!!!
em
Writing is hard for many preschoolers. It's a fine motor skill, and some develop minute hand control much later than others. Our girls picked it up much easier than our son has. Our curriculum starts cursive in kindergarten, and it's our son's least favorite subject. Try to turn it into more of a gross motor skill. For example, take a cookie sheet and dust it with cornmeal and have her write with her finger in the cornmeal. Many kids like the hands on / tactile stuff, and learn from it much faster. A Magnadoodle is also a great way to start writing. It feels more like a game, and less like work, and they can write nice and big. Allow her to write very large letters at this point, even 4 or 5 inch letters, and once she gets them down, slowly start downsizing. It really helps:-)
Keep your expectations light at this point. One letter / color / shape / number concept per week is plenty. In a few months, you will she her learning style emerge, and can probably pick up the pace some. Try to do as many hands on activities as possible. If she is learning "A" and red and circles, have her finger paint a large A and lowercase a in red paint, and then paint a circle that will become and apple. Have an apple for a snack that day, and talk about what letter it starts with, and what color and shape it is. Ask her to count the apples. "If mommy has one apple, and Charis has one apple, how many apples do we have altogether?" It seems hard in the beginning because you don't know where to start, but it will become natural to be her teacher in no time:-) You taught her how to walk and talk, how to dress herself and say "please" when she wants something, you can teach her to read, write, cipher, and explore the world around her as well:-) If you find it hard to write your own lesson plans, there are some wonderful boxed curriculums out there to make it very straightforward. We use and like A Beka, though it's very comprehensive and advanced. We feel it challenges our children well without frustrating them, and the spiral learning style is constantly building on what they already have been taught
I know you're going to be a great homeschool teacher! Never be shy to ask for help or advice:-) Homeschoolers tend to be very supportive of one another. This is our 13th year of homeschooling, and as hard as it seemed in the beginning, I now wonder how anyone could ever send their kids off to school anywhere else! :-D
Well, since she's 4, do what she likes! And build on it. Do what she finds fun. And relax. She'll learn.
I could give you load of advice but I don't know you or charis. Momma knows best. Just don't give up. And remember, at this age it should be fun.
I remember stressing over silly things when my first three where little, I missed a lot while fussing.
Maybe look at other ciriculums too. Terry
Jodie,
I just wanted you to know that I am praying for you, specifically that the knowledge of who God is would bring you peace. I know my post was long and elaborate but my main point was that you have nothing to fear, God will work all things for your good, and your daughter's, even though that's hard to see right now and understand, it is the truth, you can rejoice and take comfort in that. We should be getting a new director of IBESR for us soon and that will be good for us, be encouraged by that. I will continue to pray for us both, may God have mercy on our hearts very soon!
Nichole @ theologyzine:)
Also, please feel free to e-mail me at theologyzine@gmail.com:)
-nichole
I thought you might find this helpful...she does a lot of lapbooks and also has links, and goals for her toddler.
http://lapbooksbycarisa.homestead.com/TotSchool.html
I am speaking from absolutely no experience with homeschooling, but I am a therapist who works with kids..I suggest using reward charts. Make a list with pictures of basic things you want Charis to accomplish while on academics, such as "Use listening ears" or "Do your best," then give her a sticker for each one she accomplishes per lesson..When she gets to a certain # of stickers, she could have a reward, maybe even educational field trip to the library or even to the backyard to look for bugs..Good luck!
Post a Comment