Friday, June 05, 2009

Two Years Ago This Week ...

... was our first trip to Haiti (and Mark and Charis' only trip so far).

Two years ago yesterday, God placed a certain little girl on my heart, telling me, "No matter who else you want, Islande is yours."

This picture was taken right before that revelation.

Charis, who was not quite 3, was so miserable most of the trip. The girls at the orphanage wanted to play and do her hair, and it was overwhelming for her. Plus it was so hot and humid. But I love this picture of Islande trying to comfort Charis.

This picture was taken the next day after we returned from a trip to the Baptist Mission. I don't know why Islande was pouting.

On June 6, Charis was running a fever that was going around, so we brought Islande back to the hotel with us to spend the day with her. Here, the girls are enjoying ice cream.


Islande playing Mark's guitar.


Mark, Islande and Jodie before Islande had to go back to the orphanage for the night. We thought about letting her stay the night with us, but Charis was so sick (and was in the room sleeping at the time of this picture).

While we were at the hotel, this sweet little girl was brought to the orphanage. We were told the orphanage thought Katiana was 14-18 months old. She was 2 1/2.

This was June 7, the hour before we left for the airport. We had a very short time to say good-bye to Islande, but some new intakes to the orphanage were waiting for us. Along with Katiana, another mother had brought in her baby. Marie-Francline had no issues coming to me, but this picture was the closest Katiana would get. Her birth mom and brothers were there, too (but we didn't realize who they were).
We had already told the orphanage director that we wanted Islande. But we took more time to pray about the other girls, and decided on Katiana.


Here we are, in March 2009. The girls are growing and are healthy. I wish we were closer to bringing them home than we are, but I'm trying to trust in God's timing.
At least our file is moving -- finally!






3 comments:

kb said...

Looking back on those memories fills your heart with so many emotions. I know you can't wait for the day when you can look back on them being HOME for two years...
Hugs,
Kristi

Kathy Cassel said...

May 07 was my first trip to this O. too. It seems so long ago. Jasmine was five and overwhelmed by all the kids coming so close to her and taking the toys she was holding but she was a trooper.

I've been on four trips and I don't think we've managed to meet yet!

Katy said...

They have grown so much....I imagine you had no idea this would take so very long. May God bless you soon for your patience by bringing them home to you. Does Marie-Francline's mama know that you met her when she first came to the O? (Her name is Liz- I met her in February) I'm sure she'd love to see that photo and hear that you were there. Just wondering if you'd ever connected.