Friday, May 15, 2009

Birthday Cakes

I did this 3-tiered, fondant-covered cake for the 16th birthday of a friend's daughter. It took me all day to fight with the fondant, I mean, decorate. The whole cake is covered in luster dust to make it sparkly. I think I'll do that to all my fondant cakes now.



After I delivered the above cake, I did this one for another friend's birthday.

7 comments:

Emily said...

I love kenzie's cake-- it looks great!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Terry said...

Ok, I'll have on Monster Truck Jam party cake delivered to NJ please...:-)

Evan's bday is coming up...actually my daughter is having a cake done by a friend of hers. I'll try to take a picture of the monster truck cake.....

Your cakes are beautiful!

Jodie said...

Thanks! I'm trying ...

Ashleigh said...

Jodie, I LOVE this three tier one! It's beautiful and amazing!

Do you ever watch "Ace of Cakes"? Somehow Ted and I found ourselves watching that at 10 p.m. last night. It was really interesting and I thought of you. They mentioned "fondant" at one point and I actually knew what that was because you had explained it. :)

Also, I just noticed the picture of Islande and Katiana together on the sidebar. LOVE it! What cuties!

Kathy Cassel said...

Beautiful. I know I'd probably drop something on it or drop it as I was leaving to deliver it. Tyler is getting a Walmart cake for his grad next week.

Anonymous said...

Your cakes are so awesome! I love luster dust, too, it's so sparkly! And I've only used fondant once (the Mario Bros cake I recently posted on my blog) and it was great... at first. I must not have rolled it out thin enough, because the next day it was "sagging" on the sides a little:-( Has this happened to you? Is it because it was too thick? I think I rolled it out about 1/4 inch thick...

Jodie said...

Sue, I usually roll mine too thin. I had issues with the bottom layer of the tiered cake, but the middle and top layers did better (I added more powdered sugar). I don't know why I've had such issues getting the texture right on the homemade fondant. Maybe it has to do with our lack of humidity, air pressure, etc. Things get SO WEIRD here!!!