I wasn't too thrilled with how any of them turned out, but here they are:
Two layer chocolate, filled with crushed peppermints between the layers. Chocolate-mint buttercream. The holly and berries are made with gel. I added gel dots between the shells in the border.
Two layer chocolate, filled with crushed peppermints between the layers. Chocolate-mint buttercream. An experiment with putting crushed mints in a snowflake pattern failed. I used a green ribbon to trim this one.
Three-layer cake, alternating chocolate, yellow, chocolate; filled with ganache and crushed peppermints. I iced with chocolate ganache. I followed the recipe, using bittersweet chocolate. I think if I do this again, I'll use semi-sweet. The leftover ganache made good truffles, though.
Three-layer cake, alternating chocolate, yellow, chocolate; filled with ganache and crushed peppermints. I iced with chocolate ganache. (Same thing as earlier, I'll use semi-sweet next time. I hope it wasn't too rich for the recipients).
A birthday cake order. The neighbor who ordered this wanted half white frosting and half chocolate. I had such issues with the frosting not sticking to the cake, and the cake itself falling apart. If he didn't need it for today, I would have started over. Oh to have an extra freezer to keep a stash of cakes ...





5 comments:
Cakes are a labor of love. My parents used to do grand cakes for me when I was a kid. They even did my wedding cake. I used to do all my kids cakes. Then I got to doing it for extra income. I got burned out and no longer did them for my kids. Especially after a few wedding cakes that I did. But I would really like to start doing that for them again. It is a lot of work. You did a great job!! You should be proud of yourself not critical. You really are doing a great job!
Christina
Wow!
again...wouldn't you like the warm, sunny weather of Florida?
I may come visit, Nichole!!!
Mmmmmmm, look good to me! Merry Christmas! Terry
Post a Comment