Monday, June 21, 2010

Charis' Carnival Celebration

We had Charis' party the weekend before her 6th birthday. My friend Melissa, whose twin girls' birthday is a few days before Charis' birthday, asked us to celebrate Charis' big day with them, too, since they always do a big bash (the dad's birthday is the same day as Charis', too).


But before the party, the girls had to have a game of Twister.








Melissa took care of the majority of the planning and preparations for the carnival-style party. I took care of the cakes. All four of them.



Brenna asked for chocolate cake with vanilla icing. The cakes are 1/4 sheets (9x13) and the princesses are color flow.


Alexis wanted chocolate cake with chocolate icing.


Charis wanted strawberry cake with strawberry icing.


Randy's cake was vanilla cake with chocolate icing. We all joked I should have made a princess to go on his, too! (Carol finished up the border on this one for me while I went to do the million things I needed to accomplish!)


At the party there were balloons, a popcorn machine, games ...

And caricature drawings ...

Charis waits patiently as Emily has her caricature drawn.

And face painting ...

Esther went subtle with a flower on the cheek. All the other children did full-face images.

We laughed that Zoë's butterfly looked more like a voodoo mask.

There was a ring toss game ...






And potato sack races ...


Alexis, Charis, Brenna and Autumn prepare for the big race.


Esther "won" the potato sack race for the group of girls who wanted to participate. I say "won" because she got to the line first, but didn't know to cross it!
Can't forget the photo banner!


I think we'll join the circus after the kids go to college.
And cake ... lots and lots of cake ...
Charis, Brenna and Alexis -- all turning 6 -- blow out the candles on their cakes.
Our caricatures:

Charis' caricature.


Esther's picture.

I think Zoë's picture really captured her sassitude.

Mark's parents, Wendell and Carol.


Ours. One of the partygoers said mine makes me look like Felicity Huffman. I guess I have a new doppelgänger for Facebook!

4 comments:

Steph said...

Oh my goodness! That looks like a fantastic day was had by all!

Ashleigh said...

How fun!! Love the caricatures!

christineslong said...

Happy birthday sweet Charis. I can't believe it's been 6 years. Sigh. They grow up too fast.

Kathy Cassel said...

what fun!