Saturday, March 20, 2010

Esther's First Week at School

Esther started school Friday, March 12. It was basically a "party" day since her third-grade class had just finished CSAP testing. Her teacher seems really sweet and the kids are very helpful and friendly. Someone is always watching out for Esther.


Esther with her lunch pack, ready to tackle Evans Elementary.

The school decided to put her in third grade, basing that mostly on her age. I don't agree with their assessment, but the principal and the ELL instructor both said she'd do well. They cited two boys who came from Ethiopia a year or two ago, who knew less English than Esther. They put them at grade level, and within a year and change, they are caught up. I'm willing to trust their judgment and give it a try.


Esther at her desk on the first day before the other students arrived.

One week later, Esther says her favorite thing at school is recess. :)

She was supposed to have her first spelling test Friday, but the district closed all schools anticipating the blizzard (we didn't get much snow in our part of town).

When she first got her list of 15 words, we had to go through and explain what some of the words meant, in English and Creole. Some of the things she wasn't even sure of what they were in Creole. Plus, there were both its and it's -- try to explain that concept with a language barrier!

She's now off two weeks for spring break.

Charis goes to an area charter school, where she is thriving. The work a grade-level ahead (so my kindergartner is doing 1st-grade work), so that wouldn't work for Esther right now. Plus the school doesn't offer an ESL/ELL program. I wanted to get Esther into the same school as one of her friends from the orphanage, but the district told me no. Since Evans is our home school, and since it has an ELL program, she must go there. But I have put in a request for "School of Choice" for next year, hoping she and W. can be together.

But having two kids in two different schools not near each other has posed a problem. Charis' school, which is 10 minutes north of us, starts at 8:15. Esther's school, which is two minutes as the crow flies, but 5-10 minutes west in actual drive time, starts at 8:20. So a friend who lives closer to Charis' school and whose son attends said school, has graciously agreed to take Charis. So we leave the house 15 minutes earlier, drop off Charis at our friends' house, and swing back around to take Esther to school.

Pick up hasn't been an issue yet since Charis is only half-day K.

Esther's school does offer bus service, but I'm not comfortable with her doing that yet. If she still has to be at Evans next year, I will have to consider busing.

Zoe has been adjusting well to the new schedule. The first day Esther was gone was stressful for her. She cried silently (she does nothing silently) in the back seat of the car. But everyday, as soon as we drop off Esther, she asks if it's time to get Charis. All morning she wants to get Charis and Esther. She gets really upset when I tell her it's not time.

I've been trying to work with Zoe on her English and getting her ready for school. I'm hoping to start her in kindergarten at the charter school Charis attends. I think Zoe could adjust there more easily than Esther, since Esther is already so behind. Zoe is so anxious to start school, but there are some other issues (behavioral and attachment) we have to deal with first.

1 comment:

Kathy Cassel said...

I hope all the school issues and choices work out for you. It's never easy deciding what is best for each child.