Thursday, April 17, 2008

Trip to California and a bit of adoption non-update

We recently returned from visiting my family in California. Charis and I joined my parents and two of my nieces for a quick trip to my parents' vacation home on the Colorado River in Parker, Arizona, for a few days. Came back to California. Everyone except my sister (who had school) went to Disneyland. Mark came in the next day and we all returned after the weekend.


(If you have an opportunity to fly Express Jet, do it! It's an awesome little airline that still gives you earphones for their XM Satellite Radio, a snack (small sandwich, veggies & chips), and leather seats!)


It was nearly 100 the last day we were there, and 75-80 the two days we were back in Colorado. Then the temperatures dropped and Thursday morning we woke up to 3 inches of snow. Today was back up to mid-60s. Beautiful enough that I spent all afternoon outside mowing my slowly-turning-green lawn and weeding (!!!!) my back yard. (I don't know what I dislike more -- weeding or ironing -- thank goodness for Downy Wrinkle Releaser!)


On the adoption/Haiti front, things have calmed down for now, although food prices have doubled in recent weeks (Imagine spending about 1/4 to 1/2 of your day's wage -- if you worked -- for a cup of rice for only your kids). The PM has been fired. I don't know how this will effect things. I can't imagine the president is concerning himself with a list of names he has to sign off for adoptions. (As an aside, we're apparently all on one list, so does this mean we all have to be approved before there's any movement?) We're now in our 7th month in IBESR. I haven't received my monthly update photos yet. I'm really trying to not be discouraged, but every month that passes by without release from IBESR really worries me. What kind of torture are we going to endure in Parquet?


Anyway, here are some pictures from our trip.



Charis at the River flying her kite. My sister says I need to Photoshop out the kite and add an American flag! It gets windy nearly every afternoon, which was awesome for kite-flying.



Charis and Mommy


My mom and dad




Charis (third from left) with her cousins Rachel, 7, Sarah, 9, and Samantha, 11 at a teppanyaki/sushi restaurant to celebrate Rachel's birthday.

1 comment:

Natalie said...

Hi Jodie,
My husband was doing the Sudoku puzzle in the paper the other day and there was a little article next to it called "weird news". It was all about how since the price of rice has doubled in Haiti, so has the price of dirt for making dirt biscuits. Isn't it heartbreaking to think that some people can't even afford dirt now?