Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Valentine Cake



Valentine's cake for MOPS. Two tall layers of spice cake, with apple filling (5.5-in. tall cake). Carmel apple-flavored buttercream and fondant (all homemade this time). Fondant hearts and ball border. I rolled my fondant too thin and ran into problems that I couldn't fix (it broke the cake as I tried to lift it off, so I left it). If your fondant is too thin, you can see imperfections in the cake, and it tears easily. This was the first time I used fondant that was completely homemade, which isn't as elastic as the store-bought stuff, but it sure tastes better!

6 comments:

Lisa said...

Pretty! And sounds yummy too!

Ashleigh said...

Beautiful, Jodie! You are doing some amazing cakes.

Bill and Christina said...

Well I think it looks great!

Emily said...

dang!!!! i miss eating your cakes-- go read the email i sent you-:)

Jodie said...

Em, come back to MOPS!! We miss you!!

Dawn S. said...

Wow, that is something else. I want to try it but wouldn't want to mess it up anyway.